The winter of 2017/2018 has proven to be especially brutal when it comes to the flu. The American Thoracic Society (ATS), a member of the U.S. COPD Coalition, has an important two-page patient information brochure on influenza that is an excellent summary of information you need to help stop the spread of flu. Here are a few things the ATS do to avoid getting or spreading the flu:
- If you need a flu vaccine, get it as soon as possible. It is best to get by October. If you are delayed, there is still value to get it anytime during the active flu season.
- Wash your hands often and well with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.Keep chronic diseases like asthma under control.
- Keep your body healthy with diet, exercise and don’t smoke!
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.
- If you are having a fever and symptoms of the flu, ask your health care provider right away if you need to be treated with an antiviral medicine. Get immediate medical attention if you are having severe symptoms.
Read the full ATS patient information brochure here.